Muña is a 3-month art writing program providing a cohort of six writers the opportunity to critically and creatively engage with art writing strategies, readings, exercises, and conversations. The program is structured for writers to develop and refine their practices through guided workshops and peer-review feedback.
- Open to writers that want to develop and refine their art writing practice through guided workshops and peer-review feedback
- Including but not limited to: writers, curators, critics, researchers, art workers, journalists, artists with a writing practice.
- Writers that want to engage through writing strategies and subjects about contemporary art, cultural criticism, visual culture, visual politics, art history, curatorial texts, creative writing, and art writing conventions and language.
- Writers based within the areas of the Mississippi River Basin and the Great Lakes Basin are strongly encouraged to apply. Writers outside these areas also qualify.
- English-as-second-language writers are strongly encouraged to apply. Program will be conducted in English.
- Applicants should not be in any other art writing program, fellowship, residency, or academic program during the duration of the program.
Please submit all application material’s listed below through this form: bit.ly/35mbBVY
- Instagram Handle
- Biography (1200 character limit)
- CV (2 pp max)
- 2 Writing Samples
- 3 pp max each sample
- Single spaced
- Curatorial essay, exhibition texts, published articles, creative writing pieces, press releases are acceptable samples
- Excerpts of longer text accepted
- Answer 3 Prompts (1200 character limit each)
- Tell us about an art writing piece that motivates and excites you and a piece that de-motivates you and is disagreeable or dis-regardable?
- How do you want to strengthen your practice and how can this program meet those needs?
- Accepted writers will need to provide a text to be edited. Tell us more about the piece that you need peer-reviewed.
- Location Confirmation
- English-As-Second Language Confirmation
- Availability Confirmation
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday
- Accessibility Requests
- No application fee
- To provide workshops, activities, exercises, and conversations that think critically and creatively through art writing subjects, strategies, knowledges, and languages.
- To provide peer-to-peer review and editing support for writers wanting feedback on work-in-progress or previous text.
Schedule and Details
- Virtual program
- Online Zoom & Google Meet sessions with closed captions
- 6 writers will be accepted
- Program runs June – August
- 1 night a week for 11 weeks
- 6:15pm – 8:30pm CDT
- 1 break week
- Sessions will be guided by Kerry Cardoza
Accepted writers will be asked to do the following:
- Provide headshot and updated biography
- Provide a draft of a text that needs to be edited or peer-reviewed
- Choose two readings and two exercises from a Cohort Resource Sheet that will be provided or propose two readings and two exercises
- Writers will work with a dedicated editor at Sixty Inches From Center and go through their pitch process to publish a piece on the platform
For any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.