Application closed. Below is Muña 2023 application info for reference.
- Open to writers that want to develop and refine their art writing practice through workshops and peer-review feedback
- Including but not limited to: writers, curators, critics, researchers, art workers, journalists, artists with a writing practice.
- Writers that want to engage through writing strategies and subjects about contemporary art, cultural criticism, visual culture, visual politics, art history, curatorial texts, creative writing, and art writing conventions and language.
- Writers based within the areas of the Mississippi River Basin and the Great Lakes Basin are strongly encouraged to apply. Writers outside these areas also qualify. A max of 2 non-Chicago based applicants will be accepted.
- English-as-second-language writers are strongly encouraged to apply. Program will be conducted in English.
- Applicants should not be in any other art writing program, fellowship, residency, or academic program during the duration of the program.
- Participants will need to be available Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings and a couple of Saturdays starting May 30 and ending August 31.
- If you published a piece with Sixty Inches From Center in the past, you are still applicable to apply.
Application is submitted through a Google Form.
- Instagram Handle
- Biography (1200 character limit)
- CV (2 pp max)
- 2 Writing Samples
- 2 pp max each sample. Single spaced
- Curatorial essay, exhibition texts, published articles, creative writing pieces, and press releases are acceptable samples
- Excerpts of longer text accepted
- Answer 3 Prompts (1200 character limit each)
- Tell us about an art writing piece that excites you and a piece that does not excite you?
- How do you want to strengthen your practice and how can this program meet those needs?
- Accepted writers will get peer-edited help on in-progress work. Tell us about one or two pieces that you want peer-reviewed.
- Location Confirmation
- English-As-Second Language Confirmation
- Availability Confirmation
- Accessibility Requests
- No application fee
- To provide workshops, activities, exercises, and conversations that think critically and creatively through art writing subjects, strategies, knowledges, and languages.
- To provide peer-to-peer review and editing support for writers wanting feedback on work-in-progress or previous text.
Schedule and Details
- 6 writers will be accepted
- 3 month program starting May 30 and ending August 31.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays evenings for workshops and also a couple of Saturdays for in-person field trips.
- Official schedule will be given post-acceptance.
- Majority virtual program with a couple of in-person activities. Non-Chicago based applicants should be mindful of this nuance.
- Online Zoom sessions with closed captions
- Week of July 2 will be a break week
Accepted writers will be asked to do the following:
- Provide headshot and updated biography
- Provide drafts of a texts that want to be edited and peer-reviewed
- Writers will be working with Sixty Inches From Center to publish their work post-program
Email email@example.com for any questions or further information.